To be able to access your files without actually downloading them you will need to use the WebDAV protocol which is built in to both Windows and Proxcloud. By using this method you do not need to use storage space on your local disk but you work directly from the server. A good internet connection is strongly recommended.
If you use the native Windows implementation, you can map Proxcloud to a new drive. Mapping to a drive enables you to browse files stored in the Proxcloud the way you would files stored in a mapped network drive.
Using this feature requires (heavy) network connectivity. If you want to store your files offline, use the Desktop Client to sync all files on your Nextcloud to one or more directories of your local hard drive.
Note: Windows 10 now defaults to allow Basic Authentication if HTTPS is enabled prior to mapping your drive. On older versions of Windows, you must permit the use of Basic Authentication in the Windows Registry: launch „regedit“ and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesWebClientParameters. Create or edit the DWORD value „BasicAuthLevel“ (Windows Vista, 7 and 8) or „UseBasicAuth“ (Windows XP and Windows Server 2003) and set its value data to 1 for SSL connections. Value 0 means that Basic Authentication is disabled, a value of 2 allows both SSL and non-SSL connections (not recommended). Then exit Registry Editor, and restart the computer.
Mapping drives with the command line
- Open a command prompt in Windows.
- Enter the following line in the command prompt to map to the computer Z drive:
net use Z: https://cloud.proxcloud.nl/remote.php/dav/files/USERNAME/ /user:USERNAME PASSWORD
where USERNAME is your Proxcloud username which can be found in the customer portal and where PASSWORD is your Proxcloud password.
The computer maps the files of your Proxcloud account to the drive letter Z.
Mapping drives with Windows Explorer
- Migrate to your computer in Windows Explorer.
- Right-click on Computer entry and select Map network drive… from the drop-down menu.
- Choose a local network drive to which you want to map the Proxcloud.
- Specify the address to the Proxcloud, followed by /remote.php/dav/files/USERNAME/. Where USERNAME is your username which can be found in the customer portal.